About Me

My photo
Australia
Wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, great-aunt and friend....and fur-kid mum I love Quilting, stitching, photography, cooking, baking, gardening, blogging and making new friends...stop by and say hi!

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Mariners Compass.....the Quilting

I somehow found the courage to load this quilt and begin quilting it but boy have I had issues.  I just cannot get the bobbin tension right on Ava.  I had a scrap sandwich next to my actual quilt and kept adjusting the tension and testing my stitches on there......and I was happy with them, however, when I moved to my actual quilt, everything just kept going wrong.   This made me very tense and uptight and I had to keep reminding myself to RELAX. 


 I started out with the darker variegated thread but it did not look right so i swapped it for a variegated thread leaning more towards teal. I also changed the quilting plan a little bit.  So the quilting is done but I am not happy with the tension on the back....I will have to work on that some more.



In yesterday's post I outlined my quilting plan. Here's how the quilting actually turned out.

My design for the border stayed essentially the same but instead of doing the swirl in each rectangle, I stretched it out to cover two rectangles at a time.
For the blades, I kept to the swirl on the smaller blades and made a bit of variation for the medium blades and, HOORAH, I kept them going in the right direction all the way around. I stuck with the same design (as planned) in the spaces between the blades.
I tried out a "fern leaf" on the four large central blades and even though they look a bit messy here in this photo, I don't think they look too bad as a whole.

Now, I did have something completely different in mind for these corner bits but at the last minute, I had a look at the planned design and decided I would go with something a bit more freestyle and I am not sorry that I did that.

Tomorrow I will get the binding finished and then I can show you the final result.
 

10 comments:

  1. this is coming along so nicely...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a great job on the quilting Cath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing an absolutely fabulous job! Love those corners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! You do lovely work

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilting looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting is great Cath. You have created some gorgeous patterns in the different spaces. Hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  7. The teal variegated thread looks lovely - a good choice! I like the "stretched" swirl too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the quilting looks great. I really, really like that border design. Was the wadding in your practice sandwich the same as in the quilt as that can make a difference to tension?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really lovely work and I love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cath boy your quilting is beautiful,well done,love it.xx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments so please leave one....I try to get around to answering ALL comments. If you are having trouble leaving me a comment here...email me at cathquilts(dot)gmail(dot)com(dot)au

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...